Google Drive is an awesome storage service that allows users to store files without having to worry about depleting space in their computer’s hard disk. It is a quite easy and smooth process to save and open a file using the Google drive. However, every so often we can find users complaining that they are having problems opening files in Drive. Generally, this issue can be fixed by changing the network connection and rebooting the device. But sometimes, the problem can continue for a prolonged time and cause a great deal of hassle.
If you are also unable to open files in Google drive then this article is going to help you significantly. Here, we will illustrate the different reason behind this issue. Additionally, we will provide you with the steps by which you can fix problem opening files in Drive in the most convenient manner.
Issues causing a problem in opening files in Google drive.
There are many possible issues that can cause hindrance in the opening of files in Google drive. It is not feasible to list down all the possible issues in a single post. However, there are many generic issues that are common for most of the people are given below
- Slow and weak internet connection.
- Using Google Drive on a browser that is not compatible.
- Using an outdated browser.
- The size of the file you are trying to open is way too big.
- Too many caches in the browser you are using.
- Add-ons and extensions installed in your browser causing problems in opening Google drive.
- Software conflict between your browser and antivirus.
- Firewalls and proxy settings blocking the files in Google drive to open.
- Problem due to drive syncing errors.
Things to know before troubleshooting problem in opening files in Google drive.
Before we move on to the steps to fix problem opening files in drives, here are some important things you should know.
- The problem you are facing might be temporary. In simple words, if you are facing an error message stating “Temporary Error (502)” then you don’t have to do anything. Just wait for the few hours and problem will resolve by itself.
- Some files are not compatible with all the devices. You may try to open the file in different devices to check the problem resolves or not.
- In case drive opens the files but doesn’t display it then you may try different views such as “Owned by me” or “All items”.
If you can’t open files in Google drive even after following the above-mentioned instructions then you should troubleshoot the problem by the steps mentioned below in this post.
How to fix problems opening files in drive?
It can be utterly frustrating when you need to check a file immediately and drive doesn’t allow you to open it. Nevertheless, you can fix such problems by following the steps mentioned below:
Step – 1: Check your internet connection
- The first thing you should check is the Internet connection.
- In case the error message you receive states “Trying to connect” then the problem is definitely with the internet connection.
- You should try to open the file again after switching to another network.
Step – 2: Make sure you are using a compatible browser.
- The browser you are using to run Google drive should be compatible.
- The Google drive is readily compatible with the Chrome, Firefox, Apple Safari, Internet Explorer browsers.
- Make sure you are using the latest version of the browser you are using.
Step – 3: Clear browser data
- If the files are still not opening, then you should clear the cache, cookies and history of your browser.
- Reload drive after clearing the browser’s data.
Step – 4: Reduce the size of saved files.
- Sometimes, the size of the files in Google drive can exceed the permissible limit.
- In case the file is too big to open then you may divide the information among many smaller files.
Step – 5: Try to use offline access
- In case your internet connection is interrupted or weak then you can also opt for offline access.
- Offline access allows users to open a file without an internet connection.
Step – 6: Check browser extension.
- You may also disable all the add-on & extensions in your browser and then try to open the file again.
Step – 7: Temporarily Disable Antivirus
- Some antivirus software is designed to block the G suite files such as Google docs, slides and sheet.
- Make sure you are not using such Antivirus. Temporarily disable antivirus if you are using one.
Step – 8: Check firewall and proxy settings
- The firewall and proxy settings especially the customized ones can also block the access to drive.
- You should check your firewall and proxy settings configuration and make sure you have the access to Google drive.
Step – 9 Fix Synching problems
- If you have synched Google drive with your PC instead of using it through the browser then problems opening files in Drive can also be caused due to the synching issue.
- You should reinstall backup and synching to fix such problems.
After following the above-mentioned steps, you should be able to open files in Google drive. However, if the issue persists then you should contact Google Drive support for further instructions