Sometimes, when you try to login into your Gmail app with iPhones’ mail app, you get the wrong password message in Gmail, even when you are entering the correct password. There are mainly two reasons why your Google app password might not be working and you face trouble signing in Gmail. First, your device or app might not support Google’s security standards or 2-Step verification is not supported by the app. These two problems can be solved by following certain easy steps described further.
An issue of Your App Not Supporting the Google’s Security Standards
The following apps don’t support the newest protection standards include:
- Mail app on an iPhone or iPad with an outdated operating system
- Mail apps that come with the phone, but are not designed by Google
- Desktop mail clients like Mozilla Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook
To resolve this issue, you can opt for any of these two choices:
- Update your app to a more secure version that matches the Google’s security standards.
- Or, if you want to continue using your app, you can go to ‘Less secure app’ and turn on ‘Allow less secure apps’. However, this is not recommended as it makes it easier for someone to get into your account.
The issue of 2-Step Verification Not Supported By the App
Certain apps like the Mail app on your iPhone do not support 2-Step Verification. To solve this problem, you need to generate an app password that will let you sign in to your Gmail account. To generate an app password, follow these steps:
- Visit your App passwords page.
- At the bottom of the page, click on ‘Select app’ and choose the app you are using.
- Now, tap on ‘Select device’ and choose the device that you are using.
- Tap on ‘Generate’.
- Follow the instructions to enter the App password on your device.
- Select Done.
Sometimes, you get a message ‘the username or password for imap.gmail.com is incorrect’, even though you have not made any changes to your Gmail account. Here’s how to solve this problem:
- To begin with, On your device’s browser, go to https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha.
- Next, enter your username and password and enter the letters that appear on the screen.
- Now, return back to your app and try to sign in again.
These are the reasons you are not able to sign-in into your Gmail because of a third-party app on your iPhone. If you are facing these problems even with your Gmail app, then there are certainly other ways to fix this problem.
When Gmail says your password is wrong or your password is not working in Gmail, you can try to reset Gmail password. You can perform Gmail password recovery with the mobile number that you have entered as your recovery number while creating your Gmail account. You can click forgot password link on your Gmail and then perform simple password recovery. In a similar manner, you can reset Gmail password with recovery email id.